Friday, October 10, 2008

Laying the foundation

Why does theatre make sense to me?

When I'm working on a project, my life seems to fall into place more. (My house falls apart, but I can live with that.) I'm much happier and more fulfilled. But even more than that, I can see the hand of the Lord so clearly when I am working on a show. I know with assurity when ideas come to me that are not my own. I can feel the Lord's guiding influence and I trust him. For some reason, I have a difficult time trusting my whole life to my Father (call me stubborn or stupid), but I couldn't do theatre without Him! I rely so heavily on Him. As I work with his children, I rely on him to help me to know how best to help each of them. As I work with material that bears the truth, I rely on Him to help me know the best way to bring the truth to the audience. As I discuss the pieces I'm working on with my collaborators, my testimony is strengthened. I don't do theatre because it's an addiction and I need a fix. I do theatre because I feel so close to my Father when I'm working with His children, dealing with messages of truth, and creating ways to present these truths. As a director, I feel especially close to my Father when I think about how I am working to create this piece and how our Father is the ultimate creator. I feel very much as if He takes me under his wing and shows me a little bit at a time regarding creation.

But can't theatre be some terrible thing that will drive people away from the gospel? Let me share what I've learned. The Spirit bears the truth of all things - secular and non-secular. When I direct a show, I find a theme. This theme is something that must have truth in it, otherwise the Spirit can't bear the truth of it to the audience. Now, if I were to choose something not truthful, that would be a problem, yes. But, as I work with the Spirit in the process of creating a theatrical piece, I trust that He will bear the truth to the audience. Sometimes the truth is uncomfortable. That doesn't mean it's wrong! So, really, theatre is an uplifting, edifying experience!

I believe that theatre is a gift - one that is not used enough! Theatre can teach, uplift, serve as an example to others (positive and negative). I'm of the opinion that theatre should make us reflect upon ourselves, why we act and think the way that we do and if that's what we want or not. Complacency is something that scares me, but when I'm working on theatre, I'm constantly self-evaluating. That's one thing I love about theatre. It truly is a blessing!

No comments: