Monday, October 13, 2008

Seriously?

This blog is more of a theatre rant. Please skip down to my next blog to read some cool theatre stuff.

Why do people not take me seriously in the theatre world at BYU?!
Is it because I'm female? Because I kind of get that vibe...

Oh, she's married and will probably not be doing theatre seriously ever because she'll probably just have kids and forget about theatre so we don't need to encourage her and take her ideas seriously.

That's ridiculous. I need to do theatre. It's not something I'm just doing for the hell of it. It's not something that I'm going to give up when my mood changes. This is what I'm passionate about and serious about doing for the rest of my life. And I will do it, dang it.

I try really hard not to be cocky. I know that the Lord is in whom I trust and he makes up for what I lack. I know that I have a lot to learn. But I also know I have a lot of good ideas! I know that I have talent!

Take me seriously, dang it!!!!!!!!

When I say I want to do a project, investigate an idea, etc, don't blow me off for something else! Just because I'm not male/graduating soon/whatever your reason is, does not give you reason to ignore me!

Secondly, just because I'm not pushing the envelope does not mean that I'm not doing thought provoking theatre. I understand that it can be frustrating to do theatre at BYU where we're a religiously sponsored university and therefore held to different standards. I know that it would be nice if things were different. However, this doesn't mean that fantastic, thought provoking theatre cannot happen within these limits! Sketchy content does not mean that it's good theatre. Just find the truth and bear your witness of it.

This doesn't mean that I'm not fighting just as hard as you are to improve the theatre department. But just because I'm not fighting to do edgy-for-BYU-stuff doesn't mean that I'm not doing good theatre!! I'm not playing it safe. I'm not taking the easy way out. I'm challenging myself and will also be challenging my audience to think. Again, sketchy content does not make good theatre.

--

I love theatre. I want to do it for the rest of my life. I want to be taken seriously, though! Please! I'm not just some dumb girl doing easy stuff and taking the easy way out. Please give me some credit for what I'm doing!!

2 comments:

ashleigh said...

Here, Here!

Zobell said...

Totally understand. My frustration has come more from the fact that I feel like nobody's taken me seriously until this semester because I've never done main stage work. I feel like I've spent more time trying to get attention so that I can then do good work instead of just being allowed to do good work. Politics. All about politics.